.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

terpsichorepapers

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Another new plan

Well, I went for my testing and everything is fine.

The non-stress test was actually kind of enjoyable. I was put in a bed and had two monitors strapped to my tummy. One "watched" me, and the other was for Jensen. Then, you wait. The one for me told the nurses that I am actually having contractions, they're just very little and not totally consistent. The one for Jensen told them that he isn't having any physical problems, like a lowered heartrate, as his body responds to the contractions. Overall, they pronounced him "perfect." It was cool to be able to see the tape that showed both of us at the same time, but even better was when I started to fall asleep, the nurse encouraged me to take a nap and even turned out the lights for me.

Then, I went to another room and had another sonogram. He checked the amount of amniotic fluid around the baby, which was again billed as "perfect." Then he wanted to check his size/ This is where this gets interesting. I had a sonogram 3 weeks ago, and they told me that they believed Jensen was about 7 lbs. Well, low and behold, today they have totally changed their tune and are telling me that he's "now" 10 lbs, maybe more. (Um, how does a baby gain a lb a week when I haven't changed any of my eating habits?) When I told the doctor that really surprised me based on the previous sonogram, he actually started to backpedal and said that maybe the last sonogram didn't include the weight of Jensen's head, because sometimes they just leave that part out. After some more conversation, he reconfigured his idea and is now claiming he could be anywhere between 8 and 10. Since I've only put on 25 lbs total, I'm not going to stress too much over how big he could be, especially since sonograms are still not such an exact science. I have been routinely told that they could be off as much as 2 lbs, which is a big difference when you're talking about a baby!

When I thought I was all done, the sonogram doctor told me that he was going to call my regular OB and that I should conference with him by phone right then. He actually told me that he didn't want me to leave the hospital unless he knew that I was going straight to my OB's office. I did think that was a little weird, since he's pretty much told me everything was good...but okay.
I ended up going to my OB's office, where he just confirmed the results I'd just had and we decided on yet another game plan for having this baby come out.

Since everything is fine so far, we're going to give him until the end of the week. If no baby by Saturday afternoon, I'll go into the hospital for induction. That gives him time to prove my theory that his due date was off by a week anyway, and gives me a definite light at the end of the tunnel to being pregnant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home