.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

terpsichorepapers

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year and then some!

Happy 2005, everybody! Hope all of your celebrations were fun-filled and safe.

And to Holly, whose New Year's was especially exciting....congratulations!

Mine evening was low-key, but I think that was what was best this particular year. Earlier in the afternoon, I took myself out to lunch, and then to see Finding Neverland. Later that night, I stayed home and watched the ball drop on tv (no way I was going to Times Square!).

Neverland was an amazing film. Definitely a buyer once it comes to DVD. Johnny Depp is absolutely the most beautiful man I've ever seen. Usually, I'm not overwhelmed by someone's appearance in a movie, but I was actually distracted a couple of times by how fantastic he looks in this particular role. Add in a lilting accent, and voila, you had me at 'ello.

But, more than that, the story is really well written, with perfect jumps between the real world and the story world. The plot pulls you in from the very first moments and holds you in suspended reality the whole time. Kate Winslet is so believable as the young mother of the 4 boys who would provide inspiration for the "Darlings." Her internal conflict between wanting to stay and knowing it's not ultimately her choice resonates throughout her performance. She is such a talent.

Actually, the show was so good that not only did everyone laugh at the same spots, but there were also audible sniffles during the sadder moments and I swear, I actually heard people whisper, "I believe" when Peter says that if you believe in fairies, you must say, "I believe." (We did stop short of clapping to bring Tinkerbell back to life, but just barely!)

Best wishes for a wonderful New Year, and good luck to all of you who are going back to face youngsters on Monday morning!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home