.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

terpsichorepapers

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

By request...

Hi Stephanie! I am surprised to see that someone besides my few friends are reading this, but it's very nice to know that you're visiting!

So, by request...here is the (in)famous red dress and tattoo. (Okay, so the picture of the tattoo isn't that great, but it's on my back, so under the circumstances, I think it's okay.)

Yes, I realize that it's a little funny to post the dress without me in it, but I feel it would be wrong to post me in the dress without being all fixed up, and I'm just not in that kind of mood right now. I wish I had a photo of me with Michael at the Marriot, but we just didn't think that far ahead. Oh well.

Today was a full day...I found out, completely by accident, that one of my adorable little 8th graders has a kind of a crush on me. This is the first I've heard about it, and it's one of the most flattering things I think I've ever had happen to me. What makes it even cuter is that he's my "birthday twin"--the only child I have out of nearly 70 that shares my birthday!!

I don't know what's happened in the last week, but just over the last couple of days, I have really really come to understand how much I love these kids. Even when they're f-ing brats and I think I hate them. Now that I've started letting them come to my room at lunch, even the lazy, awful ones are starting to say crazy things like, "Good morning, Miss. It's so nice to see you today!"

Last week was picture day for the yearbook, and all of the classes got to have their picture taken as a group. ("Classes" are a little different here...the entire group of 25 or so actually rotates all together from teacher to teacher. They are identified by a number. The teacher they have homeroom with is then "their" teacher for the purposes of handing out memos, picking up permission slips and the like. Since I was not assigned a homeroom class, I am officially "without" a class that identifies themselves with me.) The announcement was made for the number of class had at that particular class period to come to the auditorium for photos. When they found out that I was without a class, they insisted on having me be a part of their class picture. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but this group was my "group from hell" at the beginning of the year, and at that moment, the transformation of our relationship seemed complete.

My next class was already in the auditorium having their pictures taken when the bell rang, so I just kept them there with me. I got to help them get fitted into their caps and gowns (here, we consider 8th grade a "graduation") and watch them have their portraits done. Still high from my invitation from my previous class, I just didn't think it could get better. But it did. After my last student got up from the photographer's chair, I sat down to have my picture done. The children sat, completely quiet and attentive while the photographer tilted my chin and straightened my shoulders. Two seconds later, the flash had gone off and I was done. When I turned around to collect my class, they were standing and....applauding!! After my curtain call, we went back to the classroom, where several kids told me I looked really nice that day, I was such a pretty teacher, and the best, "Miss, you know you hot!" Ahh, from the mouths of babes! Hahaha!!

I am really going to miss them after they graduate!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home