.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

terpsichorepapers

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Acting out

Went to the theatre conference yesterday, which was tons of fun. Professional development with theatre people is nothing like anything I've been through with all of the ELA/test prep garbage I've been asked to attend in the past.

Went straight from Manahttan to Queens College, where I spent a little more than and hour going through the more than 250 emails I've received since the last time I checked my inboxes (so some of you should have reply emails from stuff you sent two weeks ago, hahaha).

Went to class, got out of class, commuted for about an hour, stopped by the store for cat food and ended up home about 10:45. Talked to Michael until about 1, mostly about how we have to do something about our crazy schedules to have more time together and not be on the phone until 1 in the morning every night. I don't know how we're going to do it. I want him to take an early night once a week to come over and be with me (since he usually gets off at 10, and early night would be more like getting off around 8). I know that he wants to spend more time with me, too, but things are happening at his after-school program that he really needs to be aware and present for, and I understand and support that.

The thing is, the exhaustion from all the late nights is not as pronounced for him as it is for me. His body chemistry is just different--he simply needs less sleep to function well. I, on the other hand, am starting to be less patient, more distracted and developing dark circles under my eyes from the lack of rest.

We tried setting a limit to the amount of time we're on the phone to be off by midnight, but neither one of us are really trying to enforce that. Part of the problem is that I seem to get a small second burst of energy around 10:30 and then want to use that energy to talk to him and start to feel slighted when he (quite rationally and kindly) starts to maneuver his way off the phone with me.

I guess he'll just have to move in so we don't feel like we always have so much catching up to do. :) In fact, despite the talk that it would be crazy for us to actually do that so early on in a relationship, I already am amassing a collection of his stuff over at my place anyway. After a change of clothes, a toothbrush and favorite CD, what else is there really left to "move" anyhow? We're going out again on Friday, where I'm sure negotiations of this sort will continue into the very early morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home