.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

terpsichorepapers

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Short days and long vacations

That's what so many people think those are benefits to being a teacher. Of course, most are intelligent enough to figure out it's not exactly so. Today, just for kicks, I actually timed myself doing some "teacherly tasks."

To cut tape and put up posters for my classroom
30 minutes

To rearrage the desks and push in the chairs
15 minutes

To pick up fallen poster off floor, retape and refasten to wall
2 minutes

To erase entire chalkboard
2 minutes

To write required "agenda" on chalkboard
4 minutes

HA, ha, ha!! It amazes me sometimes what my life has apparently become. I am thinking that the world of junior high may not be for me, at least not at this school. I am starting to feel negative in general and am realizing that I am not using very much of the thousands of hours I have spent preparing, reading, writing, learning and listening in order to teach these kids something.

It is starting to look like the state will probably come in next year and take us over. If that happens, I know I don't want to be here, so I will most likely start looking for a new placement over the summer, if I don't decide to simply take a year off to make some choices or start a new grad program. I'm thinking of moving to a high school, but which one, I don't know.

Besides the continuous questions about where my life should be headed, everything is fine. I am just looking forward to a nice 3-day weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home