.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

terpsichorepapers

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Timely revelation

A few days ago, in a drugstore, I had a revelation. I am going to be 29 verrrry soon. Naturally, I realized this in the middle of all of the stop-the-clock and don't-you-wanna-look-younger creams and serums. So, I left (with my wallet about $30 lighter and 2 tiny jars of get-the-age-away-cream...). Interestingly, I don't actually want to look younger. However, I think I am falling into the trap of hearing traditional judgemental voices in my head about what I should look like, where I'm supposed to be, and what I'm supposed to be doing.

It's actually kind of funny. I don't feel any pressure, but I do stop to wonder if it's strange that I'm not married yet, as most of my friends are, or if I should already have a child, like most of my friends do. But, at the moment, I think I really am exactly where I need to be, doing what I need to do. I learned a long, long time ago that God seems to know what he's doing, even when I don't understand or even want to go along with it. Since then, everything's been much less of a struggle. There's no reason to hold onto the past, or to rail against my current situation, because everything that has happened to me has culminated in a woman who is strong, yet senstitive, self-reliant, yet appreciative of help and ready to try almost anything yet still be appropriately cautious.

Getting closer to my birthday, I am realizing, perhaps for the first time, that I'm sincerely happy with myself.

1 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I like your confidence. You go girl! By the way, you don't look a day over 25. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home