.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

terpsichorepapers

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

New Life

Yesterday was kind of a realization day. We have a new life in our lives. I know, I know, it seems like a "duh" kind of statement, but yesterday I was quite struck by the responsibility I now have thrust upon me. How this kiddo turns out-successful, happy, kind, spiritual-or not-is largely the result of how I bring him up. So, I have been thinking about how I want to do that. So, I am understanding in a big way that I need to change some major things in my life.

First, I don't want him to grow up in clutter, like I did. Conner gave me a good start and a large amount of inspiration in that respect. I remember being so frustrated at never feeling like I could have my friends over. After we moved to Texas, I never had a birthday gathering at home, even though we actually had a really nice house and a great backyard. And I remember bring frustrated at continually being told to clean my room while the rest of the house was drowning in junk. And finally, I have been frustrated by trying to purge and sort that junk now that my parents are gone. I would much rather have Jensen have less toys and less clothes and more memories.

Second, I want him to be active. This probably won't be a problem with having a coach for a dad, but I want to be involved, too. I used to be really active, but I need to get back in the groove. I want Jensen to have healthy exercise habits, so much so that he considers it such an everyday part of life that he can't imagine not going out to play or run or just jump around. Building that into his life will not only keep him physically healthy, but as he gets older, help him find people who will have similar interests, have a positive way to relieve stress, teach him sportsmanship, and help him attact a woman who will also be more likely to be physically and mentally healthy.

Thirdly, going along with the above, I want to model and teach good eating habits. I don't want him to think that Mommy is continually "on a diet." I'd much rather just eat well, and with incorporating more exercise, get and stay trim.

I also want to show him spirituality. Everyone is going to have to wander a bit to find their own way and figure out what they believe, but I want him to grow up within a group of spiritually strong adults so he has a firm basis to infuse the other ideas that he chooses to accept. Having a grounded faith will serve him both as a foundation when life is tough and be a reason for celebration when things are good.

Finally, (at least this is my "finally" for now) I want him to be gracious. I think this includes a lot of things, which is why I love that word. For me, my son being gracious includes respect - for elders, parents, authority figures, others in general, and himself. It also includes knowing how to speak in a kind manner and consequently, knowing when it is best to say nothing. It means knowing not only that it's important to treat a lady like a lady, but also how. I am determined to raise a gentleman, to the best of my ability.

I now understand that in order to accomplish this, I need to be as much of a model of this kind of life as I am able to be. I think I have a lot of this within me, but putting it all together
is going to take some thoughtful organizing on my part. So, one smaller goal at a time, I am looking forward to being the best example for my baby as possible.

Here's to Mommas everywhere that are all doing their best!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home