.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

terpsichorepapers

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Time to go

Just wanted to write a bit before heading to class.

Linguistics is going well so far, I think. I'll find out for sure very soon, as I have my first exam (out of 3 total) this evening. I am looking forward to the probable conclusion of schooling for a while, but actually managing to enjoy my present class.

I am also looking forward to tomorrow-the 8th graders are going on a trip, so I will be studentless (is that a word?) unless I get coverages. (In NYC, we don't primarily rely on substitutes when teachers are absent. Instead, we're asked to watch a class on our prep period, and then they pay us the hourly teaching rate.) I haven't really had coverages with other classes this year because I have been teaching 6 periods, one of which is considered an 'automatic coverage' because it's actually part of my schedule-I have my own students and I am expected to treat it like a regular class.

The average teacher teaches 5 and has 2 preps and a lunch. With 6, I get one prep and a lunch, therefore, getting an additional coverage would push me to teaching a grueling 7 out of 8 periods in a day, which here, is against our contract. Sometimes it does happen-usually on standardized test days when the schedules are strange. Sometimes someone is slated to take over the class in my classroom, since kids who are taking a test can't just pick up the exams and walk around with them, and that other teacher forgets to come, so I get stuck. Then I end up teaching 7 periods, and I'll tell you, I have really come to appreciate my lunch and my prep.

If I return to teaching next year, it should seem a lot easier, since they are revoking the 6 period schedules altogether.

Anyway, I am starting to close down my classroom for the year (here, our last day is the same as the students, so if we have to come back to take care of storing things, then it's really on our own time.) Things are going well with that, and even if I don't teach here, it'll be easy to come and get my things because everything will be organized already.

I hope everyone is doing well as summer approaches. Try to stay cool (and in Florida, I hope you find a way to stay dry as well!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home